Hazel Park
 Auxiliary Police
Hazel Park Police Department
111 E. Nine Mile Road
Hazel Park, MI 48030
Chief Brian Buchholz

Welcome to the Hazel Park Auxiliary Police Unit. The unit is currently looking for new members, and encourages you to read about us and apply.

Please feel free to e-mail any questions to HazelParkAux@gmail.com .

How to Apply for Membership

1. Read more about the Unit here to determine if membership is appropriate for you*.

2. Download an Application.*

3. Download the Authorization for Release of Information (also included in the application packet - item #2 above).*

4. Download the General Information to Applicants (also included in the application packet - item #2 above).*

5. Complete the application and mail or deliver it to the Hazel Park Police Department at 111 E. Nine Mile Road, Hazel Park, MI 48030. (Applications are not accepted via e-mail due to the need for a notary.)

6. Contact us at hazelparkaux@gmail.com if you have any questions or need assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did current members want to join the unit?

Members join the Unit for a variety of reasons, typically for one or more of the following:

To give back to their community and city

An interest in law enforcement while maintaining regular employment

To gain experience in anticipation of a law enforcement career

To improve their general skills and gain confidence in their abilities

Camaraderie with other auxiliary officers.

What functions does the Unit perform?

The unit performs a wide variety of functions, all to supplement the Hazel Park Police Department and support the citizens and City of Hazel Park. These include:

Road patrol in a marked police vehicle. This will include patrol shifts with a regular officer, with another auxiliary officer and on your own.

Hazel Park High School football, basketball and other sports and large events

Memorial Weekend Festival

Memorial Parade traffic support

Harvest festival

Angel's Night support

Shrine Circus support

Community events

Neighborhood Watch training and support

Woodward Dream Cruise

Hazel Park Raceway fireworks night

Plainclothes/unmarked car teams

Vacant home and vacation checks

Emergencies, disasters and Homeland Security functions

What special programs and opportunities are available if I qualify?

Chaplain program

Bicycle patrol

Motorcycle patrol

What qualifications are needed to apply or join? Do I need college credits?

No qualifications are needed to apply, nor do you need any college credits or degree.

However, successful candidates typically have clean or nearly clean driving and civil/misdemeanor records. (Felony convictions are an automatic disqualifier, and prevent an applicant from obtaining the required Concealed Pistol License.) It is highly recommended that any misdemeanor charge or conviction be accompanied by an explanation.

Officers also need to relate well with the public, have good written and verbal communication skills, the ability to successfully pass the academy, and a high level of commitment.

Are there age restrictions?

You must be 21 or over, or within a few months of your 21st birthday. There is no maximum age as long as you meet the physical agility and firearm proficiency requirements and have your physician's approval.

Do I need to have a law enforcement background or be able to use a firearm?

No. You'll be trained first at a local reserve academy, then undergo field training with an auxiliary command officer for six months.

Is there a residency requirement?


Do I need a concealed pistol license (CPL) to apply?

No. A CPL is not required to apply or be accepted into the Unit.

However, you'll need one before you'll be able to perform any uniformed or armed duties with the Unit.  For that reason, most applicants start the CPL application process through their home county at the same time they submit their application. Once you're a full member of the Unit, you'll be able to update your CPL through your home county to reflect that you're exempt from pistol-free zones.

How much does it cost to join?

There is no cost to apply or join.

There is a cost to attend the reserve academy (about $900), purchase a firearm (~$350), ballistic vest (~$500), uniforms and shoes (~$250) and leather gear and equipment (~$350). Some of these costs may be eligible for a discount from certain local suppliers, and some equipment can be purchased used. You retain ownership of anything you purchase. The City will provide the badges, patches and ammunition.

How much of my time is required?

Initially, the academy will require about 12 hours per week for 15 weeks, including Saturday classes.

Once the academy is successfully passed and you are firearm qualified, officers average about 10 hours per month. This includes mandatory training sessions every third Thursday starting at 7 pm.

Firearm qualification is also required every three months.

Have any questions or need assistance?


Other City Links:  

City of Hazel Park    
Hazel Park Police Department

*Adobe Acrobat reader is required to read these files. It can be downloaded for free at www.adobe.com/acrobat. If you have difficulty accessing the information or application, please send an e-mail to hazelparkaux@gmail.com with your name and address and an application will be mailed to you.

Last update: May 2, 2018       
Photo credits: Photography by Wallace M Chrouch  ©